For my first interview, I join nurse entrepreneur, burnout expert, and former colleague Mary Buffington, MSN, RN.
Mary is founder of the Burnout Ward, a coaching platform that looks for sustainable solutions to burnout in the workplace to improve patient outcomes. She's also a woman with many different hats: a trained herbalist, a registered nurse, a history of medicine expert, and a mother to her adorable son.
Tune in as we discuss the following topics:
- Nurse entrepreneurship and burnout
- How oncology is a frontier for more integrative care in medicine
- The problems with a "silver bullet" fix in healthcare
- The history of the mind, body, and spirit separation in medicine
- The medicine monoculture we live in now, and how an integrative lens is the way forward
- Spirituality and mindset in healing, and the difference between spirituality and religion
- The both/and nature of integrative medicine
- The bottleneck in Western healthcare and providers' desires to do more to help their patients in a truly patient-centered model
Connect with Charlotte on Instagram
Follow Mary at the Burnout Ward
Find out more about mind-body coaching at CS Wellness
Recorded and produced by Charlotte Herring, AGNP-BC, RN
Music by Neftali Navarro Jimenez